Today, one of the most fashionable and common ways to lose weight is to follow a ketogenic diet. It is worth noting that if this diet is followed, a person will not go hungry, but will consume fatty and calorie-dense foods. Positive effects are achieved by limiting carbohydrate consumption and reducing its use in food to zero.
Research scientists have proven that following a ketogenic diet can help treat the following conditions: epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, autism, Alzheimer's disease, cancer.
This diet is one of the varieties of low-carb diets, when the body is not receiving carbohydrates through food, it is forced to consume fat for energy. In this case, the fat burning process is very effective. Metabolic changes, or ketosis, in which ketone bodies go directly to the brain and the body uses energy.
With this diet, sugar and insulin levels in the blood are reduced, so this diet is also suitable for people with diabetes, but only for those with type 2 diabetes.
ketogenic diet rules
When following a ketogenic diet, you need to follow some simple rules and advice, and only in this case, you can achieve positive results in the shortest possible time.
- One of the main principles of the ketogenic diet is to drink plenty of fluids every day—at least 3-4 liters.
- Except for the main meal, any snacks during the day should be excluded.
- Active exercise is recommended while following a ketogenic diet.
- Protein intake should be gradually reduced to 1. 5 grams per 1 kg of body weight.
- The level of carbohydrates consumed per day should also be gradually reduced, eventually reaching no more than 20 grams per day.
- The main source of energy on a ketogenic diet is fat, so don't worry about eating it.
After a ketogenic diet, you can eat the following foods:
- Seafood - squid, oysters, crab, lobster, clams and mussels.
- Fish - salmon, cod, catfish, halibut, mackerel, trout, tuna, flounder. You can eat fish in any form - fried, steamed, boiled and baked in the oven.
- Meat - Beef, pork, rabbit, poultry, veal. Just like fish, the meat can be used in any form - you can make ribs, roasts, steaks, the only thing to follow is that the tenderloin is denser.
- Chicken and quail eggs, either fried or boiled.
- Internal organs - liver, stomach, tongue, heart and lungs, are some of the main sources of nutrition.
- Sausage - Bacon, ham, sausage. When purchasing these products, you should read the ingredients carefully to avoid any additives and sugars.
- Raw Cheese - Goat Cheese, Cream, Mozzarella, Cheddar.
- Healthy oils are natural olive oil and coconut oil. You can also eat avocado oil.
- Nuts - peanuts, walnuts and pine nuts, cashews, almonds, pumpkin and flax seeds, hazelnuts.
- Vegetables - All green vegetables, low in starch and carbohydrates, plus onions and tomatoes.
- Butter and cream.
- From the drink, you can drink green tea, light black tea, mineral water or boiled water.
The following foods should not be eaten during the ketogenic diet:
- Products containing a lot of sugar: juices, beverages, candy, cakes, jams, sweet pastries, ice cream, marshmallows.
- Foods that contain grains and starches: Wheat flour pastries, breads, cereals, rice and pasta.
- Various fruits.
- Various legumes.
- Tuber and root crops: parsnips, carrots, potatoes, Jerusalem artichoke.
- Meals and low-fat products - they go through several stages of processing, so they may contain excess carbohydrates.
- Sauces like ketchup and mayonnaise, as they contain sugar and unhealthy fats.
- The main sources of unhealthy fats are margarine and processed vegetable oils, so the use of these products should also be eliminated or at least reduced from the diet.
- Alcoholic products. Many alcoholic beverages contain large amounts of carbohydrates, so their use can render all dietary measures ineffective.
- Unsweetened diet foods. Such products are often heavily processed and full of harmful chemical elements.
You should consult a specialist before starting a ketogenic diet, as the list of foods allowed and prohibited for each patient may vary based on the individual characteristics of the human body.
The Ketogenic Diet: This Week's Menu
The approximate weekly menu for people on a ketogenic diet is as follows.
- breakfast. eggs and cheese.
- Lunch. Curd with cream.
- dinner. Chicken breast, cheese and brown rice.
- afternoon tea. cheese and some nuts.
- dinner. Vegetable salad, fish in any form, served with brown rice.
- breakfast. Omelette, ½ grapefruit, spinach.
- Lunch. cottage cheese.
- dinner. Vegetable salad, chicken breast, cheese.
- afternoon tea. cottage cheese.
- dinner. Steak with brown rice, salad with vegetables.
- breakfast. Omelette, homemade yogurt.
- Lunch. cheese, nuts.
- dinner. Chicken breast soup, salad.
- afternoon tea. Kefir, fruit.
- dinner. Fish, lettuce, brown rice.
- breakfast. Cheese, boiled eggs, oranges.
- Lunch. Homemade Kefir.
- dinner. Broth, brown rice.
- afternoon tea. cheese, almonds.
- dinner. fish, broccoli.
- breakfast. Boiled eggs with salsa.
- Lunch. Bacon or ham.
- dinner. Meat casserole with vegetables and mushrooms, salad.
- afternoon tea. Kefir, lettuce.
- dinner. chicken breast, rice
- breakfast. Omelette, salad.
- Lunch. A cheese sandwich.
- dinner. Offal soup, fish.
- afternoon tea. cheese, hazelnuts.
- dinner. Pork chops, toast.
- breakfast. Fried eggs, oatmeal or millet porridge.
- Lunch. Kefir and fruit.
- dinner. Vegetable soup with meat, chicken breast.
- afternoon tea. Kefir and boiled beef.
- dinner. Fish, lettuce, brown rice, cheese.
The pros and cons of this diet
Following a ketogenic diet has many advantages and disadvantages that must be considered before starting this diet.
- This diet is easily tolerated because the person observing it does not go hungry.
- Eating small amounts of carbohydrates reduces insulin production, which prevents the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Uncontrolled adherence to a ketogenic diet can lead to a decrease in acidity levels in the blood, which in turn can lead to the development of ketoacidosis, which in most cases leads to the death of the patient. However, this phenomenon occurs rarely and occurs mainly in people with diabetes.
- A state of ketosis is dangerous for human health, because in this condition, the load on the kidneys is greatly increased, so there is a risk of developing urolithiasis and osteoporosis.
- It is impossible to follow this diet long-term as a person begins to experience digestive problems - constipation and nausea from the constant use of high-fat foods.
It is not possible to follow a ketogenic diet for the following diseases: diseases of the cardiovascular system, liver and kidney diseases, diabetes, metabolic disorders, progressive encephalopathy.
Before starting a ketogenic diet, you need to consult a specialist, weigh the pros and cons, and be prepared. When dieting, in order to avoid unpleasant consequences, it is necessary to consult your doctor frequently and strictly follow all his recommendations.